Tel. +49 751 359785-14
LysoTherm® is a unique THP technology that uses tubular heat exchangers and thermal oil, instead of steam or chemicals for the hydrolysis process. ELIQUO designs and manufactures LysoTherm® in Germany.
LysoTherm®’s optimal design of the heat exchanger system ensures a stable and low-maintenance operation. Instead of using high-pressure steam we use a pressureless thermal oil system for heating, and by minimising the temperature delta between the sludge and the heat-transfer medium, we prevent any fouling in the heat exchangers. Additionally, LysoTherm® is equipped with a Clean-in-Place (CIP) system, also utilised in the milk industry. The periodic rinsing and cleaning of the LysoTherm® plant is an automated process, which requires minimal operator time and removes possible residues from the pipes. Rinsing is an automatic process once a day with treated effluent water. Chemical cleaning, which is typically conducted every 20-25 days, requires a simple manual start-up, the ‘push of a button’.
The energy recovery process is one of our key innovations. A regenerative water circuit provides the majority of the heat demand (approximately 90%). External energy is only required during the high heating phase and comes from a thermal oil circuit. Process heat could come from the exhaust gas heat of any on-site combined heat and power units (CHP), making LysoTherm® an energy positive system as no additional heat energy is necessary for the hydrolysis process. In contrast to steam-based systems, the thermal oil system is pressureless. Moreover, avoiding the need for steam generation and chemicals has a positive impact on economic viability, environmental footprint, safety requirements, plant availability and operability.
LysoTherm® is a totally closed process. During operation, the sludge releases hydrolysis gases, which remain in the hydrolysate and subsequently enter the downstream digesters. With LysoTherm® there are no exhaust gases to treat and therefore no odour.
LysoTherm® comes pre-assembled with a compact footprint. Installation is quick and easy with minimal construction time and risks for the plant. Because it is modular, the system can be scaled to meet capacity requirements. The treatment capacity per module is approximately 15 t solids of raw sludge per day.
Installations and Testimonials
See how it works
- The sludge is pumped continuously via a sludge pump (12 – 15 bar) and then it passes through a multi-stage heat exchanger system.
- Pre-heating takes place in the first stage of the tube-in-tube heat exchangers (to reach ≈ 148 °C, 9 – 11 bar)
- In the high temperature stage the sludge is heated to 158 °C (8 – 10 bar)
- The thermal hydrolysis takes place in the reactor at 158 °C with a retention time of 30 - 60 minutes.
- After the hydrolysis is completed, the sludge is cooled down in the cooling stage to the temperature required for entering the digestion tower (≈ 50 °C). Therefore, LysoTherm® contributes to the heat demand of the digester.
- The system is heated via two heating circuits: In the regenerative water circuit, water is the heat transfer medium. This system recovers heat and transfers it from the cooling stage to the pre-heating stage. This heat recovery mechanism provides 90% of the heat needed to operate LysoTherm®.
- The system is heated via two heating circuits: The thermal oil circuit provides the necessary process heat in the high temperature stage. The additional process heat can come from the exhaust gas from the combined heat and power units (CHP) or a boiler.
LysoTherm® module sizes
LysoTherm® is scalable
RECEIVE A FREE LysoTherm® EVALUATION